Pagina's

zondag 29 april 2012

Gaston Leroux's The Phantom Of The Opera, 5 cups of tea

What did I think of it? Good question.
I've seen the 2004 movie first and then I wanted to read the book, thinking that the movie would be based on it (of course).
I must say this first; despite the horrible ending, I hate it when the story doesn't feel 'finished', it is a fun, terrible, romantic story to read.

I'd expected that you would read from Christine's perspection as well, which would be tremendous, but then it wasn't. I didn't like it at first but as I went on, it added some sort of thrill and in the end, you did find out what had happened.
I like that the author has written the book like it has all happened for real and he's the journalist that's reporting it.
Even though I found Raould de Changy a bit whiny in the beginning, you cannot doubt his actions and his devotion towards Christine and even though she is a very naive girl in the beginning, she has faced terrible things and remained strong, which made her also some sort of heroine.


What can I say about the Phantom? I've loved him in the movie (honestly, who wouldn't love Gerard Butler?) and even in the book, in which he seems different, to me at least, he has something that is drawing you in and wanting to feel pity for him and go and comfort him.
The characters are honest and very well described, they are a part of the story, everone even the minor ones. The different perspectives also give you the hectics of an Opera house and you feel like you are a part of it.
Conclusion: a confusing book in the beginning but when it has seized you, captured you by the powers of the Voice and unheard but imaginable music, you can't let it go and it stays with you, wherever you go.
So yes, it will go on my favorites list with 5 cups of tea.


My rating system:
I use cups of tea (I told you I was obsessed ^^)
1 cup of tea: not my cup of tea, I didn't like it.
2 cups of tea: it was okay
3 cups of tea: that's more like it, I like it!
4 cups of tea: I really liked it
5 cups of tea: That's for sure my cup of tea, I loved it.
    


Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten